Noor Mohammad Tantray, the ‘midget’ terrorist killed in Pulwama encounter on Tuesday, wanted to join the BJP to eliminate its top leaders way back in 2003.Also known as Peer Baba, the four-feet-tall Kashmir chief of Jaish-e-Mohammad even went to the BJP headquarters at 11 Ashoka Raod in New Delhi. He managed to get a form to get himself registered as an active member, snoop on the leaders and attack them, a plan that never materialised. Before he could have succeed in his conspiracy, the Anti-Terror Unit of Delhi Police’s Special Cell, then headed by Deputy Commissioner of Police Ashok Chand nabbed him and his associates from Delhi with huge cache of arms and ammunition.Tantray also went by the name Gulzar Ahmed Bhat or Uwais was a resident of Darganjgund in Pulwama’s Tral area and was arrested in Delhi in August, 2003.“Tantray was a member of JeM, a terrorist organisation banned under Prevention of Terrorism Act, 2002 and was arrested for entering into a criminal conspiracy with four others (Rashid, Mohd Sahid, Habeeb and Khurshid Ahmed Butt, all said four others having since been killed in different encounters with security forces), to commit terrorist acts and wage war against India,” Chand told DNA.He was convicted in 2011 for life. He was languishing in Tihar Jail and was out on a parole since 2015 and thereafter started reviving the JeM in south and central Kashmir.In 2003, on August 29, the Special Cell received an intelligence inputs about Jaish terrorists being engaged in supply of arms, ammunition and explosive material transported in wooden boxes of fruits and vegetables by trucks from Kashmir to Delhi. The vehicles were also used to take back Hawala money from Delhi to Kashmir for being used for terrorist activities.On a specific information about a truck bearing registration number “153” of Jammu and Kashmir having reached Delhi with certain quantity of arms, ammunitions and explosives, efforts were made through a team headed by then Sub Inspector Govind Sharma, who is now Assistant Commissioner of Police, to locate the vehicle.It was learnt that truck bearing number JK-03-0153 had actually entered the fruit market in Delhi’s Azadpur at 10:55 pm on August 28, 2003. Since the truck could not be located in the market, extensive search was launched in surrounding areas. On August 30, 2003, at about 2.00 pm, then Sub Inspector Umesh Barthwal is said to have located the said truck parked in Qutub Road parking lot. A police officers comprising, amongst others, of then Inspector Hriday Bhushan was deployed to keep a watch over the truck in secrecy.At about 7.45 pm a short statured person later identified as accused Noor Mohd Tantray was seen approaching the truck and having a talk with the driver who was later identified as accused Parvez Ahmed Mir and cleaner later identified as accused Farooz Ahmed respectively of the truck.Tantray along with other two boarded the truck, thereafter three wooden boxes kept in the tool box were taken out. All three were nabbed and the three wooden boxes unloaded from the truck were opened and checked and beneath the fruit, 10 hand grenades, 10 grenades shells and one under barrel grenade launcher were recovered.Tantray during interrogation revealed that the consignment of explosives was to be delivered by his associates Zahoor in Pakistan and Aslam of Sikandrabad in UP, who were to meet him in front of Indraprastha Park on outer ring road in Nizamuddin. A team of police personnel at 9.15 pm in private cars and reached the park near and about 10.45 pm, a Maruti car bearing registration no. DL3C N8749 came from the side of Nizamuddin flyover and stopped.From the said car, two persons allegedly alighted and stood nearby and challenged by the police and when asked to surrender but instead of compliance the said they started firing at the police. The police returned the fire in the course of which both the said persons came to be injured and later scummed to injuries.In Delhi, Tantray had made his in house no A-44 at Mohindra Park in Azadpur as the base to carry out terror attacks. During search of his place, police recovered computer with its accessories, stereo cassette players, sets of Nokia, 10 channel cordless telephones, cash, Hawala money in the sum of Rs 19.20 lakh and certain incrementing documents. Sources said that these documents contained a form for BJP membership.The police team lead by ACP Rajbir Singh, who has since died, had then nabbed the accused under supervision of then DCP Ashok Chand. Chand retired from Delhi Police as Joint Commissioner in 2015.

Join the discussion<!–end of artlbotbor–>

Follow this link: 

Jaish-e-Mohammad’s ‘commander’ Noor Tantray killed in Pulawama wanted to join BJP in 2003 to eliminate top brass