Yuva Sai Sagar

Online news channel!

Tag: bhaskaran

Non-bailable warrant against Sasikala’s husband M Natarajan

A court here today issued a non- bailable warrant (NBW) against M Natarajan, husband of deposed AIADMK leader V K Sasikala, and three others in connection with a case of evasion of duty while importing a luxury car from the UK 23 years ago.The Eighth Additional Judge of the Principal Special Court for CBI cases, A Thiruneelaprasad, issued the NBW based on a November 17 Madras High Court order, upholding the trial court order sentencing the accused to two years in prison in the case.The counsel for the CBI approached the court, seeking issuance of NBW citing the recent Madras High Court order.Natarajan and three others were convicted for conspiracy, forgery, cheating and tax evasion and sentenced to two years in jail in the case by the court in 2010. All the accused appealed against the CBI court order.When the pleas came up before the high court on November 17, it had dismissed their petitions and directed the trial court to secure the accused and remand them in judicial custody to undergo the remaining period of the sentence, if any.The case relates to the import of a Toyota Lexus car in 1994, declaring it as a “used vehicle” and thereby allegedly evading tax to the tune of Rs 1.06 crore. The CBI and the Enforcement Directorate registered separate cases against Natarajan and three others after it was found that the documents presented by them were fabricated.According to the CBI, Natarajan, his nephew V Bhaskaran, Yogesh Balakrishnan and Sujaritha Sundararajan substituted the original sale invoice with a photocopy of an invoice fabricated by changing the vehicle’s manufacturing date to July 1993.They cleared the car under transfer of residence provision, and thereby caused a loss of Rs 1.06 crore to the exchequer by way of short levy, penalty and redemption fine, the CBI said.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consecwq tetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore
Yogi Adityanath

–>

Join the discussion<!–end of artlbotbor–>

Gold worth Rs 3L missing from woman’s bank locker

<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>A 57-year-old woman allegedly lost her gold ornaments worth Rs 2,65,000 kept in the bank locker of a Matunga branch. The woman in her complaint has alleged that while most of the gold ornaments were intact inside the locker but she found some of them missing. The Matunga police have registered a case of theft in this regard.According to police, Auxilia Bhaskaran, 57, a resident of Tulsi Pride in Chembur alleged that she found her bank locker of the State Bank of India open and her gold jewellery was missing. The police are checking CCTV camera footages to ascertain the statement of the complainant, and to check whether the ornaments were stolen by an employee of the bank.”The CCTV cameras are not installed inside the locker section of the bank and the victim had checked the locker last year to check her belongings,” said a Matunga police officer.N Ambika, Deputy Commissioner of Police, Zone 4, said, “We have registered a case under section 380(theft) of the Indian Penal Code against an unknown person. The woman has also claimed that most of the gold ornaments are intact inside the locker and we are probing as to how the ornaments went missing.”

Car import case: VK Sasikala husband’s conviction upheld

<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Madras High Court on Friday confirmed the trial court’s conviction and sentence of jailed AIADMK leader VK Sasikala’s husband M Natarajan and three others for two years imprisonment in connection with a two-decade-old Lexus car import case. Dismissing Natarajan’s appeal petition, Justice G Jayachandran upheld the economic offences court verdict convicting all the four accused in 2010.The case pertains to the import of Lexus luxury car in 1994 from the UK as a used car to evade import duty of Rs 1.6 crore. The CBI and ED have registered separate cases. According to the CBI, Natarajan his nephew V Bhaskaran, Yogesh and Sujaritha Sundararajan forged the original sale invoice by changing the vehicle’s manufacturing date to July 1993. They cleared the car under transfer of residence provision and thereby caused a loss of Rs 1.6 crore to the exchequer, it said.

#DNAImpact | Uddhav Thackeray asks minister Subhash Desai to clarify denotification of land

<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Seeing how it spells more trouble for Shiv Sena ahead of the 2019 state assembly elections, party president Uddhav Thackeray is said to be upset over the corruption allegations made against Industry Minister Subhash Desai. Desai stands accused of denotifying acres of land amounting to a deal of about Rs 50,000 crore.Sources in Sena say Thackeray called Desai and asked him to clarify the matter to the media. “Desai has been close to the Thackeray family since Bal Thackeray’s reign,” say sources. “He is the senior most leader and minister in the party, and this is the first time he has been accused of corruption. Plus, there is growing chatter that Desai should be removed and replaced with a young face.” The sources added that in the upcoming cabinet reshuffle, Desai may not retain his cabinet berth or may be shifted to an insignificant ministry. NCP MLC Dhananjay Munde, Leader of the Opposition in the state Legislative Council, volleyed the allegation against Desai, demanding his resignation and a special probe into the matter.
ALSO READ #DNAExclusive: 60k acres of land denotified in 3 years by Maharashtra minister Subhash DesaiDesai confessed that Thackeray had spoken to him. “I have clarified my stand,” he said. “I have not done anything wrong so there is no question of me stepping down. My party and my party ministers are with me.”He clarified that he had followed the proper procedure while denotifying land across Maharashtra. “Opposition has wrongly interpreted the Supreme Court’s judgment in Bhaskaran Pillai versus the State of Kerela case,” he said. “We have neither acquired the land, nor compensated the farmers. We had only intended to acquire the land. In such cases, we can denotify – return the land – to the original landowners.”
ALSO READ #DNAExclusive: Fresh allegations against Maha minister Subhash Desai; Oppn demands resignationDesai said that former Industry ministers had denotified land using the same procedure. “We had acquired the land (on paper)15-20 years ago, and were just sitting on it,” he said. “The land was not required any more, so we decided to denotify it.”When asked why builders such as the Nahar Group and Swastik Properties Pvt Ltd are the only main beneficiaries of the denotification decision, Desai said he did not favour any specific individuals. “We approved the application of whoever had applied through the right procedure and possessed authentic papers. In fact, we took inclusive decisions that benefited the farmers as well,” he said.

Madras HC grants pre-arrest bail to ex-AIADMK minister

<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>The Madras High Court today granted anticipatory bail to former AIADMK minister K Pandiarajan in a case against him for allegedly disrespecting the national flag while campaigning for the R K Nagar bypoll. Granting the bail, Justice S Bhaskaran said Pandiarajan has to appear before the investigating officer as and when required. A replica of a coffin with late Jayalalithaa’s figurine draped in the national flag had been used by the AIADMK (Puratchi Thalaivi Amma) faction as part of the bypoll campaign on April 6, highlighting its demand for a probe into her death. The coffin was placed over the bonnet of an open jeep, with supporters of former chief minister O Panneerselvam seeking votes for their candidate E Madhusudanan. Pandiarajan, a former school education minister and a Panneerselvam loyalist, had highlighted their demand for the judicial probe during the campaign. An election officer had filed a complaint with police alleging that Pandiarajan’s action violated norms and disrespected the national flag, following which an FIR was registered. Apprehending arrest, Pandiarajan had moved the court seeking anticipatory bail. The Election Commission had on April 9 cancelled the bypoll, saying the electoral process has been “seriously vitiated” by parties through use of money power.(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)

Maran brothers appear in court in phone exchange case

<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Former Union Telecom Minister Dayanidhi Maran and his elder brother Kalanidhi Maran, who heads a media conglomerate, appeared before a CBI court here on Monday in connection with an illegal telephone exchange case.When they appeared before XIV Special judge for CBI cases Bhaskaran, the judge adjourned the case to April 22 after the investigating agency submitted that the documents to be served on the two were not ready yet.The case pertains to the setting up of an illegal telephone exchange at Dayanidhi Maran’s houses in Chennai when he was the Telecom Minister in the UPA-I government. The allegation against Dayanidhi was that he had had 300 telephone lines installed at his residence while he was the Union Telecom Minister and connected them to the Sun TV office, owned by Kalanidhi, for data transfer.The CBI has named Dayanidhi and senior BSNL officials in the FIR filed in October 2013, following a preliminary inquiry in which the agency claimed to have found enough evidence to proceed with a regular case against the former Union Telecom Minister.A special CBI team from New Delhi had arrested Chief Technical Officer S Kannan and electrician KS Ravi of Sun TV network in connection with the case in January 2015.

CM Palaniswami’s day one: Freebies to win over public

<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>After winning the confidence motion, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Edappadi K Palaniswami on his first day in office on Monday announced a string of welfare schemes to win over the general public, even as the Opposition DMK moved the Madras High Court challenging the trust vote. The new measures include subsidised two-wheeler scheme for working women, housing scheme for fishermen, doubling of unemployment allowance and closure of 500 liquor shops.In a strong departure from his predecessor and rival O Panneerselvam, Palaniswami occupied the CM’s office in the secretariat used by late J Jayalalithaa and sat in the chair she used. Panneerselvam who took charge after the demise of Jayalalithaa on December 5 last year did not use her office or chair like in his previous two terms as “interim” CM. Palaniswami along with cabinet colleagues and bureaucrats paid floral tributes to Jayalalithaa’s portrait before signing the files pertaining to the schemes which were electoral promises made by the ruling party.Palaniswami and his 30-member cabinet sworn in on Thursday after Supreme Court’s verdict on the disproportionate assets case dashed the hope of AIADMK general secretary VK Sasikala to become CM. To give way for Sasikala, Panneerselvam on February 5 resigned as chief minister but later revolted alleging that he was forced to resign.As per the ‘Amma two-wheeler scheme’, the government would subsidise 50 per cent of the cost of a two-wheeler, subject to a maximum of Rs 20,000, he said, ordering increase in financial assistance to pregnant women from Rs 12,000 to Rs 18,000 to benefit around 600,000 pregnant women at an outlay of Rs 360 crore per annum. He increased the monthly allowance to unemployed persons — Rs 200 per month for 10th standard fail, Rs 300 (10th standard pass), Rs 400 (12th standard fail), Rs 600 (graduates and post-graduates). He said orders have been issued to close 500 liquor shops towards implementing prohibition in the state in a gradual manner. However, he abruptly ended the news conference when a reporter raised a question over the government itself taking over the retail sale of river sand to end illegal quarrying.Report submittedA day after Governor Vidyasagar Rao sought a factual report on the incident that happened in the Tamil Nadu Assembly during the confidence motion, Assembly secretary AMP Jamaluddin submitted the report along with the CDs of the House proceedings on Monday. Sources said that the secretary has handed over the report in person to the Governor’s office as Rao had left for Mumbai on Sunday.Hearing in HCDMK working President and Leader of Opposition in the Assembly MK Stalin said that his party has moved the Madras High Court challenging the trust vote. “The case will come up for hearing on Tuesday,” he told reporters here. Alleging that the footages given to media on Assembly violence was edited, he called upon public to support the statewide hunger strike planned by his party on Wednesday.MLAs face ireAIADMK legislators belonging to the official Sasikala camp continue to face the ire of the public and party cadre. The government, on Monday, provided police protection to the residence and offices of the legislators and ministers across the state.In yet another setback for AIADMK general secretary VK Sasikala, the Madras High Court on Monday said that final arguments in the two-decades-old Lexus car import case, involving her husband M Natarajan, her nephew VN Bhaskaran and two others, would be held from February 27.The Economic Offences Court convicted all the four include Natarajan and sentenced them to undergo imprisonment for two years. All the four filed appeals in the High Court, which had stayed the sentence and the appeal was pending.When the appeals filed by Natarajan and others came up for hearing, Justice S Bhaskaran posted the case to February 27 for final arguments. The CBI had already submitted a memo seeking early hearing of the case.In 1994, a Lexus luxury car worth several crores was imported from the UK and was presented as a wedding gift to V Bhaskaran, a relative of Natarajan. To evade import duties, the vehicle was declared as a used car. A case was registered by the CBI and Enforcement Directorate against M Natarajan and four others for the loss caused to the exchequer to the tune of ?1.62 crore. Since Balakrishnan had absconded, the case was delinked and proceeded against the remaining four.The Enforcement Directorate (ED) also filed separate cases against them under the Foreign Exchange Regulation Act (FERA), which was still pending before the Economic Offences Court, which had last month dismissed the discharge petition filed by Natarajan. Now the Madras High court had pronounced that the final arguments in the case would commence from February 27.

Coimbatore: Bomb threat sends authorities into tizzy, security tightened

Sat, 28 Jan 2017-05:19pm , Coimbatore , PTI
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>A letter threatening to trigger a bomb explosion at the airport premises in Coimbatore has sent authorities into a tizzy and security has been tightened. Police said a letter was received at the International Airport here threatening that a bomb would be planted to cause explosion if the teaching community’s demands like pay parity with central government staff and teachers were not met by the Centre and state governments.The letter was received by Airport Authorities last evening. The letter, sent from Anna Nagar First Street, had names of one Bhaskaran, Gouri and Chandrasekharan and a mobile number, which, however, was switched off, police said. Police have strengthened security and are investigating.Vehicle checks have been intensified and passengers searched thoroughly before allowing them on the premises, police said.

© 2019 Yuva Sai Sagar. Theme by Anders Norén.