<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –> Amid the Sikkim standoff, National Security Advisor Ajit Doval on Thursday held talks with his Chinese Counterpart and State Councillor Yang Jiechi on the sidelines of the BRICS NSAs meeting in Beijing. Yang met separately with senior security representatives from South Africa, Brazil and India, state-run Xinhua news agency reported. Yang separately exchanged views with the three senior representatives on bilateral relations, international and regional issues and multilateral affairs, and set forth China’s position on bilateral issues and major problems, the report said, without giving further details. Both Doval and Yang are Special Representatives of the India-China border mechanism.Doval arrived here yesterday to take part in the two-day Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa (BRICS) NSAs meeting being hosted by Yang. His visit has raised expectations about the likelihood of India and China finding a solution to the over a month-long standoff at Doklam area in the Sikkim sector. Chinese and Indian troops have been locked in a face-off in the trijunction area for more than a month since Indian troops stopped the Chinese army from building a road in the area. China claimed that it was constructing the road within its territory. India protested the construction, fearing it would allow China to cut India’s access to its northeastern states. PTI KJV ABH
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>The BJP-ruled South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) on Wednesday again blamed the AAP government’s Public Works Department (PWD) for the city being waterlogged with filthy water every other day it rains.The corporation’s Matiala ward Councillor had raised a short notice in the House meeting on the issue over the cleaning of PWD drains.South Delhi mayor Kamaljeet Sehrawat claimed that most of the city’s roads get waterlogged for the drains falling under the jurisdiction of the PWD.”The PWD owns all the big drains of the city, including the Kushak Nallah and others. But the department does not clean the drains even during the monsoon, which leads to the overflowing of sewers,” the mayor said.While both the agencies – SDMC and PWD – claim that they have cleaned 90 per cent of the drains in their area, both blame each other regarding the de-silting of the choked drains resulting in waterlogging.”Even the state government has turned a blind eye towards issue while people suffer every monsoon. Though we have completed desilting at most of the major drains and roadside drains of four feet depth, the Delhi government has not even undertaken sewer cleaning in any part of the city. PWD has not taken care to ensure proper disposal of rain water at its vulnerable points,” she said.Drains up to 60 feet are under the jurisdiction of the municipal corporation while 60 feet and above fall under the PWD.In order to enable citizens to lodge complaints of waterlogging, the Corporation had launched a 24X7 helpline last month.The LG had this year directed the PWD to install pumps and fix the major 60 waterlogging flash points in the city including Kashmere Gate, Mehrauli-Badarpur Road, Mukarba Chowk and Andheria Mor, among others. However, waterlogging complaints are still pouring in from these areas.
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>The I-T department has submitted to the Madras High Court that a Councillor of the Chennai Corporation, who in his electoral affidavit declared he does not have any property, owned movable and immovable assets worth about Rs 4 crore. Director General of Income Tax (Investigation) of Tamil Nadu and Puducherry, B Muralikumar, informed the court in an affidavit that Annamalai owned movable and immovable properties worth about Rs 4 crore, including 700 gram of gold jewels. The affidavit said the value of immovable properties, apart from 700 gram of gold, was Rs 3,78,15,463. Justice N Kirubakaran then directed the State Election Commission to file the details of declarations made by all councillors before the court. Observing that the declaration of the Councillor is only a farce and there is no mechanism to verify the truth, the judge referred the matter to the Chief Justice, saying there is public interest involved. The court had on January 24 directed the State Election Commission to take action against V Annamalai for declaring in his electoral affidavit that he does not have any property though he and his family owned 12 immovable assets. The direction was given on a petition filed by Pon Thangavelu, a voter of the ward represented by Annamalai. The bench had then held that it was a clear case of ‘mis-declaration’ of assets and directed the authorities to examine consequences and action to be taken. The bench had also rejected the explanation of Annamalai that it was a “human error” on his part to have declared nil immovable assets. In his assets declaration filed with nomination form in the 2011 local body elections, Annamalai had written “NIL” in the column against ownership of immovable properties. The bench had also directed the Director General of Income Tax (Investigation) TN and Puducherry to check whether the councillor has forgotten to declare his assets only in the nomination or such a forgotten attitude had extended even to the tax returns.(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>The legal cell of Nagpur BJP unit today issued a legal notice to some Congress leaders for allegedly making “defamatory and mischievous” statements against the party candidates elected in the just-held local body elections in Maharashtra. According to the notice, these Congress leaders made “defamatory, irresponsible and mischievous” statements against the BJP candidates elected in the Zilla Parishad, Panchayat Samiti and municipal corporations polls. Advocate Vinod Tiwary, BJP National Executive member and co-convenor of the legal cell, issued the notice on behalf of Meenakashi Bolenwar, a BJP Councillor from Yavatmal district. The notice claimed the respondents are tarnishing the image of BJP by levelling baseless allegations in the media that the saffron party tampered with EVMs and used corrupt means to get its candidates elected. The notice demanded unconditional apology from the respondents. Failure to do so will invite criminal as well as civil prosecution, it said.(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>in-charge of nuclear disarmament issues, were present at the talks indicating that both sides will be discussing India’s entry into the Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) besides other issues. The talks were being held in the backdrop of vocal differences between the two countries on a host of issues including India’s concern over the USD 46 billion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC), Beijing’s reluctance to back India’s application to join the NSG and the UN ban on Azhar. The strategic dialogue was upgraded during Chinese Foreign Minister Yi’s visit to New Delhi last year. China has deputed Zhang, also the head of the influential Communist Party of China (CPC) committee of the Chinese Foreign Ministry to co-chair the talks. Ahead of today’s talks Jaishankar, who formerly worked as India s Ambassador to China, met China’s top diplomat Yang Jiechi yesterday and held talks with him on the critical issues bedevilling the bilateral ties. During their talks, both Yang and Jaishankar expressed strong commitment to develop positive relations despite differences. Yang, who is the State Councillor and Beijing’s Special Representative for border talks between India and China, had said despite differences, relations between the two sides had a positive growth last year.(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar today held talks China’s top diplomat Yang Jiechi during which they expressed strong commitment to develop positive relations despite differences over Beijing’s reluctance to support India’s NSG bid as well as a UN ban on JeM chief Masood Azhar. Jaishankar, who arrived here from Sri Lanka, met Yang, who is the State Councillor and Beijing’s Special Representative for border talks between India and China. In Chinese official hierarchy, State Councillor of the ruling Communist Party of China (CPC) is regarded as the top diplomat functioning directly under the country’s leadership. Welcoming Jaishankar at Zhongnanhai, the seat of power of Chinese leadership, Yang said despite differences, relations between the two sides had a positive growth last year. Yang praised Jaishankar’s contribution to the bilateral ties as Indian ambassador to China and said the two countries had good communication at many levels and continued good cooperation in the fields of economy, trade culture and people-to-people exchanges. Jaishankar is expected to meet Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi, besides attending an upgraded strategic dialogue with China’s Executive Vice Foreign Minister Zhang Yesui tomorrow. Underlining the significance of the strategic dialogue, which was upgraded during Wang’s visit to New Delhi last year, China has deputed Zhang, also the head of the influential CPC committee of the Chinese Foreign Ministry, for the parleys. “We truly hope that in the year ahead our two countries can enhance our exchanges and mutually beneficial cooperation so that we can jointly contribute more to peace and stability and development of our region and the world at large,” Yang said, recalling President Pranab Mukherjee’s visit last year. On his part, Jaishankar said, “it’s very good to be back (to Beijing). I come with nostalgia and very good feelings and also a very strong sense of commitment to maintain the relationship”. Referring to the first Strategic Dialogue which he will hold with Zhang tomorrow, Jaishankar said, “this is not just a meeting between me and my counterpart, it is preceded by consultations” on a host of issues. Jaishankar’s talks with Yang and later in the Strategic Dialogue were expected to cover the key India-China differences like China blocking India’s bid to join the 48-member Nuclear Suppliers Group and UN ban on Azhar and the USD 46 billion China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC). MORE(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>A UK city Council has named a crackdown on dodgy taxi drivers ‘Operation India’, sparking outrage over the ‘racist’ labelling of the scheme. ‘Operation India’ was launched in Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire, as a joint initiative between council taxi licensing officers and police to carry out checks on taxi drivers. But both councillors and the taxi community have described the name of the scheme as racially insensitive. “This name must be reconsidered, people will be outraged and it does not send a good message about ethnic minorities,” Councillor Mohammed Khan was quoted as saying by Milton Keynes Citizen. “It’s essentially blaming all Indian taxi drivers, these are good hard working people who work unsocial hours to make sure people get home safely,” he said. A taxi boss, who has worked in Milton Keynes for 12 years, said, “I don’t have a problem with the police and council coming to check that our taxis are legal and safe.” “However to use ‘India’ as the name of the operation is racially insensitive and it should be retracted. Just to use the word…it’s like they’re implying criminal drivers are Indian,” the taxi boss said. “I think it will cause outrage across the taxi driving community, why did they have to use a country or race?” the taxi boss added. However, the council has defended the name ‘Operation India’. A spokesperson was quoted as saying, “These joint operations are identified using the internationally recognised phonetic alphabet — for example the previous three operations were called Operation Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel.” “It is very common practice and the next operation will be called Operation Juliet,” the spokesperson said. “These operations are important in helping to ensure that the public can be guaranteed a safe journey in a roadworthy vehicle and we will continue to carry them out,” the spokesperson added. The scheme which targets Hackey Carriage and Private Hire vehicles with suspected defects or breaches saw 12 licensed vehicles stopped. Chief executive of the Milton Keynes Equality Council, Navrita Atwal said, “The name ‘Operation India’ could be perceived as misleading.” “Anything giving pre-conceived messages where communities are being policed should be avoided. We would always encourage using names for project that build and create good community relations,” she said. “We are living in sensitive times and should exercise double caution as to not cause offence or mistrust as community relations take a long time to build,” she added.(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)