Yuva Sai Sagar

Online news channel!

Tag: lahore-high

Mumbai attack mastermind Hafiz Saeed walks free; vows to fight for ‘Kashmir cause

<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Mumbai attack mastermind and banned JuD chief Hafiz Saeed on Friday walked free from house arrest and said he would gather people across Pakistan for the “cause of Kashmir” and try to help Kashmiris get their “destination of freedom”.The Jamaat-ud-Dawah (JuD) head, who carries a USD 10 million American bounty for his role in terror activities, was freed after the government decided against detaining him further in any case. He was under detention since January. “I was detained for 10 months only to stop my voice for Kashmir,” Saeed told his supporters gathered outside his residence to celebrate his release.“I fight for the cause of Kashmiris. I will gather the people from across the country for the cause of Kashmir and we will try to help Kashmiris get their destination of freedom,” he said upon his release.Punjab province’s Judicial Review Board comprising judges of the Lahore High Court (LHC) on Wednesday unanimously ordered Saeed’s release on the completion of his 30-day house arrest which expired last night.Saeed said that he was detained when he announced a month of solidarity for Kashmiris in January.Using the release order to buttress his claim of “innocence”, Saeed said: “I am very happy that none of the allegations against me were proved as three judges of the LHC ordered my release… India had levelled baseless allegations against me. The LHC’s review board decision has proved that I am innocent”.The JuD chief said that the US, on India’s request, pressured Pakistan to detain him. “I was detained on the pressure of the US on the Pakistani government. The US did so on the request of India,” he claimed.Several JuD supporters, gathered outside Saeed’s house in Lahore’s Jauhar town to celebrate his release, shouted anti- India slogans and described their leader as “a hope for the Kashmiri people”.“We are happy to see our leader free. Hafiz sahib received his release order from the jail officials. Now he is a free man,” JuD spokesman Ahmad Nadim said.“Saeed has been freed as the Punjab government decided not to detain him further in any other case,” a top government official told PTI.He said that after a long deliberation, it has been decided to follow the review board’s decision.Saeed’s release would invite strong criticism from India and the US, official sources said. “It remains to be seen as how would the PML-N government handle the foreign pressure to again detain Saeed,” they said.Punjab Assistant Advocate General Sattar Sahil said the government law officer had presented “some important evidence” to justify Saeed’s detention, but all three members of the board unanimously rejected it and ordered his release.On January 31, Saeed and his four aides Abdullah Ubaid, Malik Zafar Iqbal, Abdul Rehman Abid and Qazi Kashif Hussain were detained by the Punjab government for 90 days under the Anti-Terrorism Act 1997 and the Fourth Schedule of Anti- Terrorism Act 1997. The last two extensions were made on the ‘public safety law’The board refused to give further extension to the detention of Saeed’s aides. They were set free last month.According to the rules, the government could detain a person for up to three months under different charges, but for an extension, it needs approval from a judicial review board.The JuD is believed to be the front organisation for the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) which is responsible for carrying out the Mumbai terror attack in 2008 in which 166 people, including six Americans, were killed.Saeed was put under house arrest after the Mumbai attack in November 2008 but he was freed by a court in 2009.India has repeatedly asked Pakistan to re-investigate the Mumbai terror attack case and demanded the trial of Saeed and LeT operations commander Zaki-ur Rehman Lakhvi in the light of the evidence it had provided to Islamabad.Ten LeT militants had killed 166 people and wounded dozens in Mumbai in November 2008. Nine of the attackers were killed by police while lone survivor Ajmal Kasab was caught and executed after a court found him guilty. Saeed was declared a global terrorist by the US and the UN after the Mumbai attack.A day after a Lahore High Court judicial review board ordered 26/11 Mumbai attacks mastermind Hafiz Saeed’s release from house arrest, India on Thursday expressed “outrage”, saying Pakistan has exposed its true face by attempting to “mainstream” UN-proscribed terrorists.

Christians-can-now-file-for-divorce-without-adultery-allegation,-says-Lahore-HC

<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –> Lahore High Court Chief Justice Syed Mansoor Ali Shah has said Christians would now be able to file for divorce without accusing each other of adultery. On Monday, the court allowed a petition challenging a provision of the Christian Divorce Act 1869, which requires a Christian couple to use allegation of adultery for dissolution of marriage. Chief Justice Shah said the court restored Section 7 of the Christian Divorce Act 1869 that enables a couple to approach a court of law for dissolution of marriage on ordinary grounds. Reasons would be given in a detailed verdict, reports the Dawn. Section 7 of the Act was suspended by former military ruler Zia-ul-Haq through an ordinance in 1981, leaving no ground for Christian males to divorce their wives except on charges of adultery. The writ petition was filed by Amin Masih through Advocate Sheraz Zaka for the restoration of Section 7, saying he wanted to divorce his wife, but without accusing her of adultery. The counsel argued that the suspended section should be restored according to which the principles of courts of England would apply as far as family/divorce issues of Christians were concerned. He said by the restoration of Section 7 there will be other just and reasonable grounds available in order to seek a divorce by a Christian man. Advocate Zaka contended that since protection of minorities was one of the norm/salient features of Constitution of Pakistan, therefore, the omission of Section 7 of the Divorce Act 1869 through the ordinance should be declared unconstitutional as well as null and void.(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)

26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed to remain under house arrest for 90 days more

<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Pakistan’s Punjab government decided to extend the duration of the house arrest of Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed under the country’s anti-terrorism act and the notification for it will be issued soon Mumbai attack mastermind and Jamaat-ud-Dawah chief Hafiz Saeed will remain under house arrest for 90 days more after the expiry of his three- month detention period on Sunday.Pakistan’s Punjab government on Sunday decided to extend the duration of the house arrest of Saeed and his four aides under the country’s anti-terrorism act and the notification for it will be issued soon, an official of the Punjab government’s Home Department said.”The government has decided in principle to extend the house arrest of Hafiz Saeed, Prof Malik Zafar Iqbal, Abdur Rehman Abid, Qazi Kashif Hussain and Abdullah Ubaid for another 90 days” under preventive detention, he said. The official said a consultative meeting on Saeed’s detention has already been held under Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar in which a decision to extend the house arrest has been taken.The government on January 30 had put Saeed and the four leaders under house arrest in Lahore for their alleged involvement in activities prejudicial to peace and security. The house arrest was made for a period of 90 days ending Sunday night. According to media reports, the Nawaz Sharif government had detained Saeed after the Trump administration, which had just taken over, had told Pakistan that it may face sanctions if it did not act against JuD and its chief.The Jamaat-ud Dawah (JuD), the front group of the banned Lashkar-e-Taiba, and its sister organisation Falah-e-Insaniat Foundation (FIF), had also been put under terror watch on the basis of a report sent by the ministry of foreign affairs. Saeed, along with his four aides, have filed a petition in the Lahore High Court challenging his detention through senior advocate A K Dogar.During the previous hearing on the petition earlier this month, the Punjab government had told the Lahore High Court that no violation of law had been made in their detention as it had reasons to believe that JuD and FIF are engaged in activities which can be prejudicial to peace and security.Saeed and his aides allege in their petition that the government detained them without any legal justification. Saeed was also put under house arrest after the 2008 Mumbai terror attack, but he was freed by a court in 2009. He has a bounty of $10 million on his head for his role in terror activities.

LHC bench hearing Saeed’s petition against detention dissolved

<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>A two-member bench of Lahore High Court hearing the petition filed by JuD chief Hafiz Saeed and four others challenging their house arrest under the anti- terrorism act was today dissolved as one of the judges has been transferred. In today’s hearing, the bench comprising Justice Kazim Raza Shamsi and Justice Chaudhry Mushtaq Ahmad said they would not be able to further hear the case since the new roster of judges has been issued for next week. The bench adjourned the hearing till April 12. “One of the judges of…the bench has been transferred therefore a new bench will be constituted next week by the chief justice,” a court official told(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)

Hearing on Saeed’s petition adjourned, govt lawyer seeks time

<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>The hearing on the petition filed by JuD chief Hafiz Saeed and four others challenging their house arrest under the anti-terrorism act was adjourned today after a government lawyer requested for more time to prepare for the case. “We could not get time to prepare the case as we were informed about today’s hearing in the nick of the time,” the government lawyer told a two-member Lahore High Court bench headed by Justice Syed Kazim Raza Shamsi. Accepting his request, the court adjourned the hearing till tomorrow. Mumbai attack mastermind Saeed, Malik Zafar Iqbal, Abdur Rehman Abid, Qazi Kashif Hussain and Abdullah Ubaid have filed the petition in the Lahore High Court and challenged their detention through senior advocate A K Dogar. The government on January 30 had put Saeed and the four leaders of Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) and Falah-e-Insaniat (FIF) under house arrest in Lahore under the country’s anti- terrorism act. In their petition, Saeed and the four others had said the government in light of interior ministry’s order detained them for a period of 90 days, with effect from January 30, in exercise of powers under the Anti Terrorism Act. They requested the court to declare the government order malafide, without jurisdiction and one that voids the fundamental right to their life and liberty. The names of Saeed and 37 other JuD and FIF leaders had earlier also been placed on the Exit Control List, barring them from leaving the country. Saeed was also put under house arrest after the Mumbai terror attack in November 2008, but he was freed by a court in 2009. Saeed also carries a reward of USD 10 million announced by the US for his role in terror activities.(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)

LHC’s new bench to take up Saeed’s petition next week

<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>The Lahore High Court’s new bench will take up on March 20 the petition filed by Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed and four others challenging their house arrest under the anti-terrorism act. The Lahore High Court today fixed the date of the hearing in the case for March 20 following the change of the two- member bench by Chief Justice Syed Mansoor Ali Shah. The new two-member bench is headed by Justice Syed Kazim Raza Shamsi. The hearing scheduled for March 7 could not be held because of the change of the bench which was headed by Justice Sardar Muhammad Shamim Khan. In the last hearing, the court had served a notice on the Punjab government seeking a reply on Saeed’s petition by March 7. Mumbai attack mastermind Saeed, Malik Zafar Iqbal, Abdur Rehman Abid, Qazi Kashif Hussain and Abdullah Ubaid have filed the petition in the Lahore High Court and challenged their detention through senior advocate A K Dogar. The government on January 30 had put Saeed and the four leaders of Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) and Falah-e-Insaniat (FIF) under house arrest in Lahore under the country’s anti- terrorism act. In their petition, Saeed and the four others had said the government in light of interior ministry’s order detained them for a period of 90 days, with effect from January 30, in exercise of powers under the Anti Terrorism Act. They requested the court to declare the government order malafide, without jurisdiction and one that voids the fundamental right to their life and liberty. The names of Saeed and 37 other JuD and FIF leaders had earlier also been placed on the Exit Control List, barring them from leaving the country. Earlier, the Lahore High Court had dismissed a petition filed by a senior advocate Erum Sajjad Gull on ‘technical’ grounds, observing that the petitioner had not furnished the impugned notification of Saeed’s detention. Saeed was also put under house arrest after the Mumbai terror attack in November 2008, but he was freed by a court in 2009. Saeed also carries a reward of USD 10 million announced by the US for his role in terror activities.(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)

© 2021 Yuva Sai Sagar. Theme by Anders Norén.