<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>A 32-year-old woman from Dadar was allegedly bodyshamed by one of her Facebook friends while chatting. The woman approached Shivaji Park police and registered a case of molestation against the man. The woman was chatting with a man who was recently added to her Facebook friends’ list.According to Shivaji Park police, the woman who works with a renowned private firm in Andheri, approached the police to file a complaint against a man with whom she was chatting for the past few months on Facebook messenger.The woman stated that the accused allegedly called her a “fat lady” which allegedly outraged her modesty.”The woman was friends with one foreigner on Facebook and started chatting with the person. When the man called her a fat lady, she approached us to file the complaint,” said a police officer.Gangadhar Sonawane, Senior Police Inspector, Shivaji Park police station, confirmed the incident and said, “We have registered a case under section 354 (molestation) of the Indian Penal Code.”
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>A 25-year-old Russian national living in Borivali was allegedly molested on a street in the area on November 1, and the MHB police registered a case of molestation on November 4 against an unidentified person. The foreigner was on her way towards her residence in Borivali in an autorickshaw, and when she got out of the auto rickshaw, an unidentified man touched her inappropriately.According to police, the 25-year-old Russian woman got married recently and was residing in Mumbai and was on her way back home. As soon as the woman got down from the autorickshaw, a man came from behind and hugged her. The man allegedly touched her inappropriately and fled.”The woman raised an alarm and passer-byes tried to nab the accused, but he fled. The woman later approached us and filed the complaint,” said an MHB police officer.Kajal More, Assistant Police Inspector, MHB police station, said, “We have registered a case under section 354 (molestation) of the Indian Penal Code against unidentified person and are probing further.” is probing the case.
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>An unidentified man was caught on camera attempting to molest a woman in a Kozhikode street.He was caught on CCTV cameraIn the video footage, the accused is seen walking along with a woman on a narrow road. Few steps later, he tries to molest and harass her, but when she resisted he fled the spot. The woman filed a case against the attacker and the Local Police of the area has registered a case of molestation against him. Investigations are underway.
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Four people were arrested for shooting at a bachelor of arts student after she resisted their molestation advances in Malihabad. One person is still absconding.According to SP Gramin, Dr Satish Kumar, the girl has been admitted to a trauma centre. “We are awaiting her medical report,” he told ANI.The incident occurs a day after a BHU student was slapped by a senior in her college after she resisted his alleged molestation advances. However, the accused, who was arrested, told the police that the girl and he were in a relationship when she got married. He assaulted her only after she and her husband hurled abuses at him, he claimed.
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>A sessions court here today sentenced a 33-year-old man to seven years in jail in two cases of molestation. Ayyaz Ansari alias ‘Kanya’ or ‘one-eye molester’ had been sentenced to life imprisonment in April this year for raping a minor girl in yet another case. He had acquired the moniker ‘serial molester’. In 2013, suburban Juhu police had registered a case against him when he had molested a 13-year-old girl. The court today awarded Ansari seven years’ imprisonment and imposed a fine of Rs 35,000, of which Rs 25,000 would be paid to the victim. The second case of molestation — also involving a minor girl — was registered in March 2013. In this case too, he was awarded seven years in jail. The court also imposed a fine of Rs 15,000, of which Rs 10,000 would be paid to the victim.(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
Days after the molestation incident that took place on MG Road and Brigade Road on New Year’s Eve, a new video of two men molesting a woman emerged on Wednesday. The CCTV footage shows the woman being sexually harassed and assaulted by a man who tried to force himself upon her, dragged her to his friend and then only let go of her after she resisted.
The News Minute reported that the Banasawadi police detained several men in connection with the molestation incident in Kammanahalli. Inspector Munikrishna told The News Minute that 15 men had been detained since Wednesday morning. The CCTV camera footage from six other locations is also being checked. However, India Today reports that four men have been detained and that an FIR has been filed three days after the incident.
The Kammanahalli CCTV footage gained more attention as the video surfaced just days after the New Year’s Eve molestation in Bengaluru. Closer to midnight “hooligans in the garb of revellers started pawing, molesting and passing lewd remarks on women on the streets, forcing some of them to take off their stilettos and run for help,” said a report. Chaitali Wasnik recounted on Facebook how a man tried to grope her breasts on the same night while she was returning home, adding that no cops came to her rescue.
An enquiry is also underway about the New Year’s Eve incident, as Bengaluru’s Commissioner of Police Praveen Sood tweeted that his team was working on the case and that they have found “credible evidence” in a case of “wrongful confinement, molestation and attempt to rob.” He also said that the police are going through CCTV footage of 45 cameras on MG road.
Eyewitness accounts had suggested that women were molested and groped and lewd remarks were also passed by the miscreants late night on 31 December in the posh area even as it was claimed that 1,500 police personnel had been deployed to control the crowds.
Police had earlier said that no one had come forward to file a complaint about the incident.
If any lady lodges a complaint of molestation that took place on 31 December night, the police will not waste even a minute in registering a case and launch a probe, Sood had tweeted on 2 January, adding even without a complainant if police finds credible evidence of molestation, a case will be registered suo motu without waiting.
With inputs from PTI
First Published On : Jan 4, 2017 15:04 IST
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Four days after the New Year eve revelry turned into a nightmare for several women in Bengaluru, the shocking footage of a woman being molested by two men waiting in an alley has emerged.Several women were allegedly molested at a large gathering in the city’s downtown area. The incidents drew widespread outrage with little or no action from the police.The incident reportedly took place around 2:30 am on Sunday and was recorded by a CCTV camera installed in a nearby house.In the two-minute video, you can see two men on a scooter blocking the woman’s path and groping her.One of the men is also seen dragging her towards the scooter even as the victim attempts to slap and resist him.While she continues to resist, they push her to the ground before escaping from the alley. Meanwhile, the police claims to have found “credible” evidence of molestation and have registered an FIR.”As promised, we have found credible evidence repeat credible evidence in a case of wrongful confinement, molestation and attempt to rob,” Bengaluru’s new Commissioner of Police, Praveen Sood had said in a tweet.”We have taken action by registering an FIR. Investigation is in progress. Police is working…. though silently,” he had said in another tweet.In the New Year’s eve incident eyewitness accounts suggested that women were molested and groped while lewd remarks were passed by miscreants late at night on December 31 in the posh area even as 1,500 police personnel were allegedly deployed to control the crowds.
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Three days after the New Year eve revelry turned into a nightmare for several women who were allegedly molested at a large gathering in city’s downtown area, police claimed to have found “credible” evidence of molestation and have registered an FIR.As the incidents drew widespread outrage with no action from the police, Bengaluru’s new Commissioner of Police, Praveen Sood through a series of tweets tonight, said his team was working on the case silently.”As promised we have found credible evidence in a case of wrongful confinement, molestation and attempt to rob,” Sood had said in a tweet.
ALSO READ Bengaluru shame: ‘These things’ should not happen, dear minister”We have taken action by registering an FIR. Investigation is in progress. Police is working…. though silently,” he had said in another tweet.Stating that enquiry is underway by an officer of DCP rank, he has said that they have gone through the feeds from 45 cameras on MG road, and unedited video is available with police.
ALSO READ ‘Abu Azmi should go to Saudi’: Twitter slams SP leader’s victim-shaming comments on Bengaluru molestation incident Eyewitness accounts had suggested that women were molested and groped and lewd remarks were also passed by miscreants late night on December 31 in the posh area even as it was claimed that 1,500 police personnel had been deployed to control the crowds.Police had earlier said that no one had come forward to file a complaint about the incident.If any lady lodges a complaint of molestation that took place on December 31 night, the police will not waste even a minute in registering a case and launch a probe, Sood had tweeted on January 2, adding even without a complainant if police finds credible evidence of molestation, a case will be registered suo motu without waiting.Sood took over as the City Police Commissioner from N S Megharikh, on January 1.
In yet another horrifying incident of gender-based violence, scores of women were molested by drunken revellers on New Year’s Eve in Bengaluru.
In response, politicians and law enforcement officials, yet again, exposed their callous indifference in such matters. Reactions from Karnataka’s ministers and custodians of law and order exemplify reasons why such violent events recur time and again, all over the country. The unabashed misogyny at the highest political and administrative levels in the aftermath of every such incident shows why legal buffers — if not the many laws and amendments — will always prove ineffective in yielding results against gender-based violence.
The all-round “blame the women” attitude by politicians and police serves to embolden perpetrators of violence. Depressingly, the discourse catapulted to the centre stage of national agenda following the gang-rape of a medical student in New Delhi five years ago but was hardly successful in resetting the terms of the national conversation on gendered violence. Things proceed as if it’s business as usual.
As has been the case in the past, politicians still offer lame, misogynistic excuses, pointing the finger at victims of assault, blaming them for succumbing to Western influences and deviating from the traditional norms of decency.
Not surprisingly, this mindset was on full display after the recent Bengaluru incident as well. According to a report in The Guardian, an inspector at the Cubbon Park police station said in his response, “We had deployed 1,600 police personnel in the area for New Year’s celebrations and around 60,000 people had come there that night.” The inspector even went on to claim that they had the situation “under control”.
G Parmeshwara, Karnataka’s home minister, blamed women partying at night in the streets for behaving “almost like foreigners”. “They tried to copy the Westerners, not only in their mindset but even in their dressing,” he said, adding, “(On) events like new year’s, there are women who are harassed or treated badly.” He shrugged off the violence, claiming that “these kinds of things do happen”.
It may be relevant in this context, to remember that five years ago, this was the very state where lawmakers were caught watching pornography in the state Assembly. Three ministers — Lakshman Savdi, CC Patil (minister for women and child development) and Krishna B Palemar — were caught watching porn clips on a cell phone. “Close up shots of the ministers watching blue films were beamed on television channels in the evening and sparked off a furore. The television visuals showed both ministers sitting next to each other, gazing into Savdi’s handset and having a banter,” a report in The Times of India said at the time.
What makes matters worse is that the usual markers of political affiliation and ideological variation blur into insignificance when it comes to misogyny — a behavioural trait all politicians seem to share in common. Markers of identity like caste and religion drive politicians into taking aggressive postures, trying to keep such issues alive in the discourse to facilitate political mobilisation. That, tragically, has never been the case with violence against women, though. The lack of women’s representation in assemblies and Parliament further helps male politicians sidestep the issue.
For decades, lawmakers have, in one form or another, combined their strengths to repeatedly stall the passage of the Women’s Reservation Bill in the Parliament. Parties like the Congress and those from the Left, who publicly backed the 33 percent women’s quota in the state assemblies and in the Lok Sabha, have also refused to take proactive steps to pass the legislation. The legislation has been hanging for over 20 years.
This state of affairs, breeding indifference and inaction, is strengthened by the reality that women are still not a distinctly identifiable electoral constituency. Even though things are beginning to change in this direction, with women beginning to emerge as a separate “vote bank” in recent elections (consider Nitish Kumar’s prohibitionist policies), the crystallisation of such a gender-based vote bank is yet to take place. But the question remains: For how long can governments and political parties remain impervious to women’s concerns?
Some form of punitive action must be initiated against officials and leaders who indulge in misogynist speeches and action — especially in their responses to events like the one in question. That might be a starting point in changing our political and administrative culture. The responsibility for initiating this change squarely lies with the state and central governments and the political parties. Little wonder then, that there seems to be no real hope of such a transformation taking place in the near future.
First Published On : Jan 4, 2017 07:43 IST