<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>In order to raise awareness among citizens about breast cancer and eye care, Goodwin Charitable Trust has organised an awareness campaign for breast cancer and eye testing at Vashi on Sunday.The programme will be attended by noted personalities from different walks of life. The campaign will be followed by speeches on breast cancer and eye testing by eminent doctors.The campaign will be set up at Satra Plaza, Palm Beach Road in Vashi. Many institutions, NGOs and different organisations have come together in support of this social cause for the benefit of society and the needy.A first of its kind for Goodwin Charitable Trust, the campaign will have an outreach at the local level. “Our intention is to spread awareness among the locals in Vashi and aim to create a public platform for those suffering. All are welcome to attend in order to avail facilities of breast cancer awareness and eye-testing,” said an official of the Trust.
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Delhi Police are checking several private cabs and taxi drivers in the area where a woman allegedly had been gang-raped after boarding the cab.Earlier the woman had alleged that she was abducted from near Ansal Plaza while waiting for a cab, late night on Tuesday and dropped in Greater Noida after she was gang-raped by a cab driver and his accomplice. An FIR was registered in this regard on Thursday evening.Police said every CCTV camera installed in the area from where she had boarded the cab is being checked to find out the accused car. Several cabs have been checked and the drivers questioned in order to nab the accused and his aide. The complainant’s help is also being taken to get a sketch of the accused made so that they can be identified.”Through technical surveillance and local intelligence we are trying to identify the accused. A case has been registered at Hauz Khas police station and the matter is being probed from all the possible angles,” a senior police officer probing the incident said.However, sources in police told DNA that some contradictions have appeared in woman’s statement which is being verified to ascertain the sequence of events.According to the police, a PCR call alleging rape was made by the complainant on Wednesday in the area of PS K N Katju Marg, reporting that late night on Tuesday she had taken a taxi from near Ansal Plaza to go to Rohini.According to the complaint, the taxi driver, after driving a few kilometres, allowed another person to board the taxi and soon, both these persons started misbehaving with her. When she tried to raise an alarm, she was threatened and they took her to the Greater Noida area and allegedly raped her.The accused also took away her gold ornaments, mangalsutra, cellphone and cash worth Rs 12,000, the woman alleged in her complaint to the police.It was then around 6 am on Wednesday that the duo dropped her near a secluded stretch in Greater Noida and drove away, the woman claimed
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>A woman was allegedly abducted from south Delhi by a cab driver and his accomplice and gangraped before being dropped at a deserted location in Greater Noida, during the early hours on Wednesday. The woman, police said, was also robbed if her jewellery and cash before being freed.According to senior police officers, a PCR call alleging rape was made by the complainant on Wednesday in the area of PS K N Katju Marg, reporting that late night on Tuesday she had taken a taxi from near Ansal Plaza to go to Rohini.”According to her complaint, the taxi driver, after driving a few kilometres, allowed another person to board the taxi and soon, both these persons started misbehaving with her. When she tried to raise alarm, she was threatened, and they took her to Greater Noida area and allegedly committed rape. The accused also took away her gold ornaments, mangal sutra, cell phone and cash Rs 12,000,” said a senior police officer.It was then around 6 am on Wednesday that the duo dropped her near a secluded stretch in Greater Noida and drove away.”Since the area from where she was allegedly taken in the taxi falls in south Delhi’s Hauz Khas area, a case has been registered and investigation has been started with no delay. CCTV footages are being checked to ascertain sequence of incidents and identify the vehicle used by two,” the officer said.The woman was also taken to a hospital for her medical examination and she is being counselled. Police teams are meanwhile raiding taxi booths in order to zero down on the area used and his accomplice.
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>”We were lucky to escape the blast due to a huge wall besides the Plaza cinema hall,” recalls Vidyadhar Dhumal, 58, a tea stall owner who took injured to Sion Hospital few minutes after the blast. Dhumal, said, “While the blast took inside the cinema premises, some local shopkeepers lost their lives. We are satisfied with the verdict the court has announced. The accused should be punished for the terror activity they were involved in. Even if its a late decision, at least they are punished and not set free.”Just like Dhumal, other citizens who witnessed the 1993 bomb blast across the city, are happy that the court has finally announced punishment to the offenders involved in the case. Shankar Chogale, 55, a worker whose nephew was injured in the blast, said, “It is a rightfully decision and I support the verdict. I have seen my nephew suffer injuries and it is hard to forget the incident. Although the justice is delayed, I am happy that they are punished.”A taxi driver, who was at the Bombay Stock Exchange during the incident remembers helping citizens to reach home safe. Somnath Mishra, 58, who witness the incident very closely, said, “Life cannot be compared with money.Slapping an accused to pay Rs two lakh fine will not help to bring back the lives of people who died. All of them should get harsh punishment. Their life should also struggle.”Another victim, who worked in BSE those days left the BSE building for a break with friends, KK Thanvi, 61, said, “I along with my friends were sitting below the BSE building on the backside. Few glass pieces fell on my head too but since we were sitting below, we had few minor injuries. Accoridng to me It took court more than two decades to punish the wrongdoers. The authority should had taken the matter on fast track for judgement.”Vinod Sharma, 65, who worked in a bank at Nairman Point, said, “All the accused should be hang till death rather than giving them imprisonment.”
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Justice G S Singhvi, who has been appointed administrator on the board of CPRL, today deferred the meeting to August 29 after the representatives from fast food major McDonald’s did not turn up. Connaught Plaza Restaurants Ltd (CPRL), an equal joint venture between McDonald’s India and entrepreneur Vikram Bakshi, has four board members — two foreign directors from McDonald’s, along with Bakshi and his wife. The directors of McDonald’s did not show up for the CPRL board meeting scheduled today, as directed by the NCLT to resolve issues between the fast food giant and Bakshi. “The board meeting is cancelled. I have heard the two members of the board and posted it on August 29 because two of the directors representing McDonald’s did not attend,” Justice Singhvi told(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Major waste generators in the national capital faced today the wrath of the National Green Tribunal (NGT) which imposed major fines on hotels for not complying with the solid waste management rules. A bench headed by NGT Chairperson Justice Swatanter Kumar imposed penalty on these defaulting bodies for failure to properly manage waste and treat sewage. The green panel imposed a penalty of Rs 3 lakh each on Hotel Leela Venture Ltd, Fraser Suites, Royal Plaza and Mahagun Hotels Pvt Ltd, Rs 2 lakh each on Chhatarpur-based Radiance Motel and Golden Petal Hotel and Banquet and Rs 2.50 lakh on Park Inn. It directed them to submit 25 per cent of the fine amount with the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB) and rest of the amount with the Delhi Pollution Control Committee (DPCC). The NGT also asked the hotels to install sewage treatment plants (STPs) and anti-pollution devices within four weeks and ensure that the STPs function properly on a regular basis. With regard to housing socities, the bench asked the authorities to inform Ekta Society about its notice and warned that in case it failed to appear, its power and water supply would be disconnected. In the earlier hearing, the tribunal had imposed a penalty of Rs 7 lakh each on Taj Palace, Taj Vivanta hotels and Zorba Entertainment Pvt Ltd, Rs 5 lakh each on Crown Plaza in Mayur Vihar, the Lalit and Hotel Metropolitan, Rs 3 lakh each on Mayur Vihar-based Holiday Inn and Rs 2.50 lakh on G K Motel Pvt Ltd. It had also issued notice to major waste generators in the city including 5-star hotels, malls, hospitals, educational institutions with hostels and housing societies which had not complied with Solid Waste Management Rules, 2016. The NGT order had come after it perused an interim report submitted by a committee set up by it recommending action against defaulting bodies for improper management and treatment of sewage and lack of mechanism to recycle waste. The tribunal had constituted the committee comprising representatives of the ministries of Environment and Urban Development, the Director General of Health Services, the Medical Council of India, the Delhi Development Authority, the municipal corporations, the Delhi government, the CPCB, the railways and the DPCC. The committee also had four independent experts. It had directed the committee to inspect all five-star hotels, hospitals which have more than 200 beds, cooperative group housing societies with over 300 flats, markets, shopping malls with a built up area of over 50,000 square metres and colleges having hostel accommodating more than 500 students in Delhi. The green panel had asked the Delhi government to provide a list of all mass generators of waste, while noting that the problem of waste generation was being faced by the entire country and urgent steps were needed to be taken without “demur and default”.(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Body of a 26-year-old woman security guard was found at her house in west Delhi’s Inderpuri area on Rakshabandhan, police said today. According to the police, the woman, a native of West Bengal, worked at PVR Plaza in Connaught Place. Her live-in partner is the prime suspect in the case, they said. The victim had introduced the accused to her tenant as her husband. But it was later found that she had been separated with two kids. The children were staying with her ex-husband, a police officer said. The woman and the accused were staying at the rented accommodation in Inderpuri since the past three months, he said. The officer said the accused had left yesterday for his hometown Raebareli in Uttar Pradesh for celebrating Rakshabandhan. The police said the body was discovered by a colleague of the victim. The colleague turned up at the victim’s house after she failed to report to work and her phone went unanswered, they said. The officer said the house had not been ransacked and there were no external injury marks on her body. Prima facie, it appeared that she was not sexually assaulted, he said. The police suspect that the woman was smothered. Her parents have been informed and after they arrive here, the postmortem examination will be carried out.(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>The decision of food chain McDonalds to shut down 43 of its 55 outlets in the Capital left Rachna Gupta confounded. A popular hangout for the Delhi University student along with her friends, Rachna was left baffled on Thursday to find shut doors.“This is the fourth outlet we’ve come to which is shut down. What is happening? Why are they all shut down?” In fact, the only McDonald’s outlet still functioning in CP is in block N-10.Forty three of the total 55 outlets have been shut in Delhi from Thursday for failure to renew the licences by its North and East India licensee Connaught Plaza Restaurants Pvt Ltd (CPRL). The CPRL is the local joint venture between Bakshi and McDonald’s.Student-friendly and economic McDonald’s decision to shut down many of its outlets has affected many of its clientele, which are students and parents with children.“I had taken leave this weekend and our family had visited CP after which we all decided to go to McDonald’s. I am so disappointed and surprised at the same time to see so many outlets closed,” said Anil SharmaSpeaking on condition of anonymity, a senior official from McDonald’s told DNA that they were doing all they could to help their staff. “All employees will be placed in other outlets and will be getting their salaries till the dispute is settled. I don’t know how long it will be till the outlets re-open but I assure you it will be soon,” told a senior official to DNA on the condition of anonymity.Additional CP licensing unit K K Vyas said, “The eatery had not applied for a renewal of their license, which lapsed on March 31st this year. Also, they had to take NOC from the MCD. However, their application has not come to us.”
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –> In an unprecedented move, McDonald’s on Thursday shutdown its 43 outlets out of 55 in New Delhi because of its ongoing tiff with the CPRL (Connaught Plaza Restaurants). Vikram Bakshi, former managing director of CPRL, however said that the company has temporarily shut 40 of its outlets all across the national capital. ?It?s correct that around 40 McDonalds restaurants have temporarily suspended their operations in the city of Delhi from today morning,? Bakshi told ANI in an exclusive conversation. ?This is a temporary shut down and not a closure,? Bakshi added. He declined to share reasons for closure, but it is reported that the CPRL failed to get the mandatory regulatory health licences renewed because of the infighting between Bakshi and McDonald’s. Out of the 12 outlets, some of which are operational include the ones in East Delhi, South Delhi, South Delhi (Saket), Connaught Place, Delhi ITO, Sarojini Nagar, Domestic Terminal of Terminal -3, Kashmere Gate, ISBT Kashmere Gate and others. The temporary suspension is due to the expiration of the Eating House Licenses of specific restaurants, and will render over 1,700 employees jobless.(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>In a setback to the US-based fast food chain McDonald’s, 43 of the total 55 outlets will be shut in Delhi from today, on failure to renew eating house licenses by its North and East India licensee Connaught Plaza Restaurants Pvt Ltd (CPRL). The CPRL is the local joint venture between Vikram Bakshi and McDonald’s. When contacted, McDonald’s said “the eating house licenses of a number of McDonald’s restaurants in Delhi have expired”. Since last two years, Vikram Bakshi and McDonald’s are in loggerheads over control of CPRL and arbitration proceeding is being pursued by the food chain at the London Court of International Arbitration. Without specifying a number, a highly placed source told(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)