Yuva Sai Sagar

Online news channel!

Tag: shantiniketan

Biswa Bangla row: Mukul Roy summoned by court after Abhishek Banerjee files defamation case

<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee’s nephew and TMC MP Abhishek Banerjee on Tuesday filed a criminal defamation case against former TMC Rajya Sabha MP, now BJP leader, Mukul Roy.The case was filed at Bankshall Court in Kolkata. On the basis of Abhishek’s complaint and the documents submitted, Bankshall Court has issued a summon to Roy on December 20. Post filing the case, Abhishek said that he had been hurt by the allegations levelled by Roy. He also gave a challenge to Roy saying, “If I say something, people might choose to believe me or not. Similarly with Roy. Now it is up to the court to decide and pass a verdict. Then everyone will believe what the truth is. He has alleged that I am the owner of business entities named Biswa Bangla and Jago Bangla. If he cannot prove it, he should leave his seat and Bengal. If he can prove it fair and square, I will leave politics.”Roy, however, interacting to mediapersons maintained that he had not said anything without documents. “These papers are that of the corporate affairs ministry. If it is tried in any court of the country, I will be able to prove that what I had said is true,” he said. Reacting to Abhishek’s comments he said, “These are attempts to divert people’s attention from the issue. He is a young man and is immature that is why he throws these challenges.”
ALSO READ Mukul Roy moves Delhi HC against West Bengal govt over alleged tapping of his phoneHe added that earlier Alipurduar District Court had passed an injunction prohibiting Roy from making public statements against Abhishek following a petition by him but Roy repeated it again at a press conference on November 25. “Now I have filed a criminal case against him. I have my full faith on the judiciary. People are watching. We have shown how to win convincingly through ballot. We will do the same in this legal battle as well,” he added.Along with Abhishek, also present at the court was party MLA Smita Bakshi’s son Soumya Bakshi. Abhishek’s lawyer said that the defamation case has been filed under section 202 of the Indian Penal Code.
ALSO READ Why Mukul Roy is getting ‘Y-plus’ security? Trinamool leader files plea in Calcutta High CourtInterestingly, Roy too, had filed a similar case against Abhishek last week at Patiala House Court in New Delhi saying that the legal notice which was sent to him was defamatory. It will be heard on December 1. State BJP leadership refused to comment on the issue. “It is Roy who has alleged and the case is against him. The party is with him but he himself will have to prove the credibility of his allegations,” said a senior state BJP leader.In another development, the Biswa Bangla Biswabidyalay Bill (Biswa Bangla University Bill) was tabled by state education minister Partha Chatterjee at the West Bengal state Assembly while Opposition members opposed the title of the bill. Left Front and Congress members suggested that the bill should referred to the select committee which was turned down by speaker Biman Banerjee. Chatterjee said that the name had nothing to do with the Biswa Bangla logo. The proposed university would be located at Bolpur in Shantiniketan. Opposition members said that they opposed the use ‘Biswa Bangla’, which was a tainted phrase, in the name of a university at Shantiniketan because it amounted to an insult to Rabindranath Tagore.

Ghatkopar building collapse: toll 17; Sena worker arrested

<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>A Shiv Sena worker was today arrested in connection with the building collapse in suburban Ghatkopar which left 17 people dead. According to residents of the Siddhi-Sai Cooperative Housing Society, the pillars of the building got weakened due to renovation work of a nursing home on the ground floor owned by Shiv Sena worker Sunil Shitap, leading to the collapse yesterday. Shitap has been booked under IPC sections 304 (II) (culpable homicide not amounting to murder), 336 (act endangering life or personal safety of others) and 338 (causing grievous hurt by act endangering life or personal safety of others). Shitap, who was detained last night, was arrested after questioning, a senior police official said. The death toll, meanwhile, today rose to 17 after five more bodies were pulled out from the rubble of the four-storey building during overnight search and rescue operations. “Our rescue team along with the fire brigade and NDRF jawans extricated 28 people from the debris, out which 17 people have been declared dead. Eleven injured have been admitted in the nearby Shantiniketan and Rajawadi hospitals,” an official of the disaster management unit of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) said. Five bodies were pulled out during the night. Two firemen were injured in the rescue operation and shifted to a hospital, the official said. The search and rescue operations are still underway. The city and its suburbs received heavy rains over the last several days, though there has been some respite since yesterday with downpour giving way to intermittent showers. The BMC has made temporary accommodation arrangements for the affected people in three nearby municipal schools, however, survivors preferred to stay at homes of their relatives. Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis visited the collapse site last night and said, “An offence has been registered and police are investigating. I have directed the commissioner of BMC to investigate and submit report within 15 days.”(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)

CBI refuses to hand over Nobel probe dossier to state

<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Kicking up the possibility of a fresh bout of dispute between the state and the Centre, the Cenral Bureau of Investigation (CBI) has refused to hand over investigation of the case of Rabindranth Tagore’s Nobel Prize medallion theft case to the state government.Sources at Nabanna, the state secretariat said a communication from the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT), the controlling authority of CBI, said on Wednesday that the agency would not hand over any document regarding the Nobel theft case. On the contrary, they had demanded that the state investigating agencies keep the CBI abreast of new clues.Expressing his displeasure on the issue, State Education Minister Partha Chatterjee said it proved that the Centre was not serious about recovering the medallion and that the state government would carry on its independent investigation into the matter.The state had written to the DoPT in December 2015 for the first time to hand over the case dossier to the state investigating agency. Since the DoPT didn’t reply to the letter, a reminder was sent to the DoPT in August 2016. The DoPT replied on Wednesday stating its unwillingness to comply.After the Nobel medallion theft in 2004 from Shantiniketan in Birbhum district, the then Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee had handed over the case to the CBI.

© 2019 Yuva Sai Sagar. Theme by Anders Norén.