<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Train services at Kharagpur Station will be disrupted for 24 hours on Sunday owing the installation of state-of-the-art solid state interlocking system, the largest in Asia, at Kharagpur in West Midnapore district.Work had been on since November 4 and is expected to be completed on Sunday.Trains from different stations have been stopped at places such as Balichak, Hijli, Kalaikunda and Girimaidan. Bus services from those places to Kharagpur have been initiated but commuters complained that those were far from being enough.Many express trains and about 90 per cent local trains had been cancelled owing to the ongoing work. There had been smaller disruptions since work started but since November 17 the major disruptions began.A senior Railway official of Kharagpur said that the technology, once installed will help in controlling train movements on about 800 routes through computer. “Speed of trains will increase, time will be maintained and smaller accidents would be averted,” he said.It was found out that the new system which is being installed at a cost of over 39 crore in replacing the previous one which has long passed its codal life. He also said that platforms 7 and 8 had been operational during the work with two additional lines – one from Midnapore and the other from Howrah – had been linked to Kharagpur to enhance capacity.Another senior official said that at least three signal cabins would not be of any use after the upgradation and fewer station masters would be required at Kharagpur.Test runs have been conducted in the last 7-8 months and the new system would ensure that trains would not meet bang into each other at crossings.Normal train services are expected to resume from November 20.
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Before putting students to test on the basis of learning outcomes, the Centre is making sure that at least schools that are affiliated to Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) have adequate supply of books, well in time.While in the beginning of the year, situation was completely different as Centre had failed to release funds under Sarva Siksha Abhiyan to several states, the situation has changed now as learning outcomes have to be tested.Each year, students in government schools face problems in getting school books on time. Many of them get books by July instead of April, while the school session begins in April. However, this year all the schools that are affiliated to CBSE have received National Council of Education and Research Training (NCERT) books.Further, government is also making arrangements for strengthening the mechanism for supply of NCERT books.Government officials have been cautious this year as they do not want an adverse result for learning outcomes, which are being introduced from this year. The Right to Education Act has been amended recently to including learning outcomes, based on which students learning and understanding will be tested.Agreeing that supply of books is a problem, a senior official said, “We understand that there are issues with supply of books for school children. Many of them get books by July, however this year we have made sure that at least the CBSE schools get books on time.””Further, we are also strengthening the mechanism to ensure that books are printed well on time. We are going to start preparation for next year from this year itself. This way, we will have more time for getting adequate supply,” he added.Developing curriculumA three-day conference has also been organised by the ministry wherein NCERT and State Council Education Research Training (SCERT) from various states are sharing best practices on developing the curriculum and how they maintain supply of books. For example, the SCERT in Tamil Nadu distributes books online and keeps a track of the demand and supply chain through an organised portal.
Tue, 24 Jan 2017-06:49pm , Ganderbal , ANI
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Two Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) terrorists were killed in a massive gun-battle with the security forces near Khimber’s Hadoora area in Ganderbal district of Jammu and Kashmir on Tuesday. Two AK 47 have been recovered from their possession and combing operations have been launched to ensure no untoward elements are still active in the area.Earlier in the morning it was reported that at least two foreign terrorists were trapped in the operation underway. The entire area was cordoned off as security forces were engaging in an attempt to smoke out the militants.Earlier on January 16, three terrorists were gunned down by security forces during an encounter operation in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pahalgam. Earlier in the day, one militant was gunned down after an infiltration bid foiled in Sunderbani sector of Rajouri district in Jammu and Kashmir.