<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>A Delhi court has put on trial a lawyer for allegedly sexually assaulting his minor daughter after rejecting the cancellation report of the police giving him a clean chit. Additional Sessions Judge Vinod Yadav pulled up the Delhi Police for “not showing any sensitivity towards the plight of the child” and deliberately delaying recording the statement of the 13-year-old girl before a magistrate. The court refused to accept the cancellation report filed by the police, summoned the accused lawyer after taking cognisance of the offences and framed charges of sexual assault, sexual harassment and threatening his daughter under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act and IPC. “I find enough material on record not to accept the cancellation report filed in the matter as the child victim has levelled serious allegation of commission of sexual assault upon her by the accused, who is none other than her father. She had reiterated similar allegations against the accused at the time of her medical examination,” the judge said. “For the reasons best known to the investigating officer (IO) the statement of the child under section 164 CrPC was delayed for about six days. It appears that during those six days the accused could win over the child. Neither the IO, nor concerned SHO or ACP have shown the sensitivity towards the plight of the victim in the cancellation report filed in the matter,” the court said. The court framed charges against the man, a practicing lawyer, after he pleaded not guilty and claimed trial. He was granted bail after he appeared in the court in pursuance to summons. The girl had told the police that in July 2016, her mother away at her relative’s place and she was living in her house along with her father and siblings. She alleged that her father had sexually harassed her by asking for sexual favours and established physical relations with her for several days. She had said her father had sexually assaulted her and used criminal force by twisting her arm with an intention to outrage her modesty. Later, she said in her statement before a magistrate that her father had not committed any crime with her and police officials had come to her house following a quarrel between her parents and took her signatures on a blank paper. The police in its cancellation report said in view of the girl’s statement to the magistrate, no cognizable offence was made out against the man.(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Maharashtra Education Minister Vinod Tawde was left annoyed when he received hundreds of text messages from two students, who demanded a rollback of the government’s decision to convert the Solapur-based polytechnic into an engineering college. The minister received the messages from the two students of Solapur polytechnic on Tuesday. According to the students, the state government had issued a circular on October 13 last year to convert the polytechnic into an engineering college. The students said that since there was no other polytechnic in the region, they decided to send messages to the minister requesting him to withdraw the decision. The students sent hundreds of messages on Tawde’s phone, which irked him. In his official statement, Tawde said that he received around 800 to 1,200 text messages on his phone requesting him not to close down the polytechnic. “Though it was annoying”, the minister said he did not initiate take any legal step against the students. Tawde alleged that the students were associated with Students’ Federation of India (SFI), a students’ wing with inclination towards communism, which is why they texted him in such large numbers because of their anti-BJP stand. “There have been several assurances to students’ delegations, political leaders from Solapur that the polytechnic is not going to be closed down, still I was harassed in this way,” Tawde said in the statement.(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Senior BJP leader Vinod Tawde said Shiv Sena and Congress have between them “exchanged” 50 seats in the BMC elections as “Valentine’s Day gifts”. Both Sena and Congress have in a tacit understanding withdrawn their respective candidates in favour of the other party on those seats where the BJP is in a strong position, he said at BJP headquarters here. “This has been done with the sole intention to pool in their resources to take on the BJP,” Tawde said. “The Sena and Congress had already struck a deal in connection with 42 seats and now have done so for 50 more seats,” he said. Tawde wondered as to how the Sena, which once vehemently opposed Valentine’s Day celebrations and smashed shops selling merchandise on the occasion, is now exchanging “Valentine’s Day gifts” with each other. He argued that this exchange of total 92 seats was ostensibly done with a view to prevent shifting of two to three percent votes in seats where they expect close contest. The senior BJP leader alleged that depending upon each others candidate’s relative strength, the other party (Congress & Sena) has decided to wind up their respective election campaigning in favour of the other. Hitting out at the Sena, Tawde reeling out income details of 20 of the Sena corporators, said that properties of some of them since the 2007 and 2012 BMC elections have increased by leaps and bounds. “Which profession were these corporators engaged in that saw their property assets increase so exponentially,” he asked. Commenting upon the daily tirade launched against BJP by Sena president Uddhav Thackeray, Tawde said the Sena chief was raising issues like food being served to army jawans at the border and other issues which are not connected with the BMC elections. Referring to NCP chief Sharad Pawar hinting at a possibility of mid-term Assembly polls, Tawde pointed out that Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has already stated that the BJP government shall last its full five year term, adding that no one wants a mid-term election now.(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>Ridiculing Minister Vinod Tawde’s allegation that Shiv Sena and Congress would be helping each other in fifty more seats in Mumbai, Shiv Sena Rajya Sabha MP Anil Desai on Tuesday said that it is sign of defeat accepted by BJP in the BMC elections.The Minister for Education Vinod Tawde on Tuesday had alleged that Shiv Sena had decided to help the Congress by reducing its campaign in 40 wards while Congress would reciprocate and help Sena in 10 wards.Reacting to Tawde’s allegations, Desai said that BJP does not have any other face than Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and people like Tawde who were eyeing the Fadnavis’ post are trying raise such non-issues. Desai said that Tawde’s allegation is testimony of the fact that BJP does not have any valid point to raise with respect to BMC. He pointed out that there was absolutely no chance of an alliance with the Congress.Desai also said that the Tawde had also raised the issue of incomes of Sena corporators which he claimed were out of context. Desai said that once any candidate has filed affidavit with election commission while filing nominations, the affidavit also provides the information of profession of the candidate. He said that immovable property including that of shares could increase manifold and Tawde knew it.Desai added that the Sena would win BMC elections on its own and they wouldn’t need support from anyone, and that that if Sena withdrew the state government would fall and the BJP ought to evaluate if it could repeat its 2014 experience. Meanwhile, the Mumbai Regional Congress Committee (MRCC) President Sanjay Nirupam ridiculed Tawde by saying that this allegation was a joke, and claimed that the BJP was trying to create confusion in the minds of voters. He said that BJP city unit President Ashish Shelar also made similar allegations last week and Tawde repeated that it showed BJP was trying to create confusion in the minds of voters. Nirupam promised that the people of Mumbai would give a benefitting reply to BJP and Tawde.
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>The Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the alleged gangrape of a married woman in Naliya town of the district has arrested three persons involved in the crime, police said. Those who were arrested include Vinod Thakkar (67), his son Chetan (35) and one Ashwin Thakkar (44), said police inspector of Kutch Local Crime Branch, J M Aal, who is heading the SIT formed by Gujarat government to investigate the case. “Vinod and his son Chetan were nabbed from Mulund in Mumbai while Ashwin was held from Vadodara-Ahmedabad Highway. All of them are accused of raping the victim, who is now in Mumbai with her husband. Efforts are on to nab at least 6 others who are involved in the crime,” said Aal at a press conference. The arrest came a day after Gujarat BJP suspended four party members after their names cropped up in the complaint of gangrape filed by the 24-year-old married woman on January 25 at Naliya police station. Those who were suspended include Shantilal Solanki, Govind Parumalani, Ajit Ramvani and Vasant Bhanushali. Among these, Ramvani and Bhanushali are BJP’s sitting councillors of Gandhidham municipality. All of them are still at large. In her FIR, the victim alleged that she was raped by these men when she used to work as a clerk at Solanki’s gas agency in Naliya around one year back. She alleged that Solanki and three others first raped her after giving her a spiked cold drink which made her unconscious when she had gone to his house to take salary advance. The accused made a video of the act and raped her later on several occasions by threatening to circulate it, she said in her FIR. “Those who were arrested today are not associated with any party. Our efforts are on to nab other accused. We have also issued a look-out notice to airports in order to stop them from fleeing the country,” Aal said.(This article has not been edited by DNA’s editorial team and is auto-generated from an agency feed.)
<!– /11440465/Dna_Article_Middle_300x250_BTF –>The Maharashtra education board were left red-faced after its HSC Sociology textbook claimed that ‘ugliness’ was one of the reasons for dowry. A textbook for Class XII in Maharashtra has cited an outrageous reason for the dowry problem prevalent in India – “ugliness” and physical handicap of a girl. The remark appears in a chapter in the sociology textbook titled ‘Major Social Problems in India’ of the state Secondary and Higher Secondary Education Board.Board chairman Gangadhar Mamane said, “I will discuss the issue with the board of studies and will then comment on it.”Meanwhile, education minister Vinod Tawde spoke to Mamane and instructed him to ‘do the needful’. Speaking to the media, Tawde said that the content was part of the book for the last three years. He appealed that issue shouldn’t be politicised and said that the syllabus was designed by the board and not the government. He said perhaps the board had added the point to reflect the reality in society and they would definitely take the criticism constructively”.The textbook said: “If a girl is ugly and handicapped, then it becomes very difficult for her to get married. To marry such girls, bridegroom and his family demand more dowry. Parents of such girls become helpless and pay dowry as per the demands of the bridegroom as family. It leads to rise in the practice of dowry system.” With inputs from agencies